Living in San Diego means there's usually several art walks that happen
every year. They're outdoor events that cover several streets, and
hundreds of artists display and sell their art to the public over the
course of two days. I've gone to my fair share while living here, and
while they're generally fun, most of the art I see there just isn't my
cup of tea. I always see tons of HDR-ed-to-death ocean pier shots
(boring), weird metal scrap art in the shape of cats (just why?) and
pretty-but-meh abstract watercolors. I know art is subjective, and what
may seem boring to me may be the bee's knees to someone else,
but.....yeah. I'm totally coming off as an art snob, aren't I. I'm the
worst.
So yesterday at the Mission Federal ArtWalk in Little Italy, I felt like I struck gold when my friends and I came across Andrea Tavarez Boeta's booth. She's an artist from Tijuana, and the first piece I saw that drew me in was a small framed piece using blue string. I loved how minimal and delicate it was, and now I'm regretting not taking some photos of her pieces that she had on display. And then I saw her nude woman piece, and thought, "She gets me."
I don't remember where I read(or heard) this quote, but the saying goes, "Only buy art that you really, really love." And I did. And I'm so happy this gets to live in my house for me to enjoy. Even my husband likes it, yay!
You can see more of Andrea's work on her website. And now I need to brush up on my Spanish so I can fan-girl her inbox :)




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!